Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Mistakes do happen.

What's up y'all. There's a new book coming out by Roni Sarig called Third Coast: Outkast, Timbaland, And the Rise of Dirty South Hip Hop. Indeed, it is an accomplishment for Mr. Sarig to be releasing his third book, and I'm definately going to read it. However, I am slightly troubled by the false claim (at least on amazon) that it is the, "first in-depth look at a regional phenomenon that has exploded into a worldwide sensation: Dirty South Hip-Hop...(and) to explain the character and significance of down South rapping to fans as well as outsiders." That simply is not true. Tamara Palmer released a book called, "Country Fried Soul: Adventures in Dirty South Hip-Hop" over a year ago (March 2005). I read her book this past fall on the subway between home and college, it was real tight. Her writing was insightful, entertaining, and at times transportive. Seriously.

Of course, I'm sure Mr. Sarig's book is going to be dope too. I'm looking forward to reading it. Nonetheless, I think props should be given where props are due, and in my mind the credit for the, "first in-depth look at" Souther Hip-Hop belongs to Miss Palmer.

NOTE: You can check out cover art, reviews, etc on amazon.com should you desire.

PEACE.

No comments: