Thursday, July 27, 2006

Yo, check out what Steely Dan is saying to Owen and Luke Wilson


Image Credit: Morrison Hotel Gallery. Some cool cats that apprently don't play around.

This one is kind of a curve ball for me, I'm not sure what to make of it...I understand where Steely Dan is coming from. Plagerism is unnacceptable, straight-up. I love their music, I'm not a die-hard fan or anything, but my joy-level goes up astronomically at a party when one of their cuts comes on. Yattatai!!? Anyhow, read the letter below. At times I'm surprised by the tone, I don't know what to make of it. I guess I never thought that Don Fagen and Walt Becker of Steely Dan would approach a situation like this. Are they 100% serious the whole time? Is there a little bit of dark humor involved? Interestingly they invoke Zal Yanovsky, a member of Lovin' Spoonfull, who I only remotely know of because that song "Summer in the City" that hella people in Hip-Hop are down with, and because my gf goes to school in Canada where he opened up a restaurant. This ties in with the whole snitching issue that I discussed in my book because Zal if notorious for letting his friends take the fall for him in some drug bust. I don't know the details so I'm not going to judge. All in all, shame on plagerism. May the situation be resolved peacefully...

THE LETTER.

No comments: