Friday, November 04, 2005

The Power of Music

As Ali G might say, "Music, what's it all about?" I'm sitting here listening to the Ohio Players album "Honey" and I'm reminded again of how wonderful music is. What other creation of man can stir up such a wide range of emotions, bring people together, serve as a tool, and be sold as a commodity generating income for thousands of people? It provides comfort for so many of us in times of desperation, acts as a shoulder to cry on, pumps us up before the game, soothes us while we hang, lets us get our groove on, the soundtrack to so many moments. I mean, to many of you this may be nothing new...but I guess I'm just appreciating how powerful music is.

You can talk about Fela Kuti and the meaning his music had to the people of Nigeria.

You can talk about Lil' Jon and his ability to make you move.

You can talk about Kam and the Gang Peace Treaty in 1993.

You can talk about how happy it makes me to find a sample.

You can talk about the woman singing the German national anthem to all the French soldiers in Kubrick's "Paths of Glory".

You can talk about my little sisters' smiles when pressing buttons on their play toys.

You can talk about Bambaattaa spreading the wealth...

And the beat goes on.

Music, it certainly is a powerful phenomenon, you "Sweet Sticky Thing" (making my own meaning).

"Say what!?"

No comments: